Fairford Information and History

Fairford
Home
Fairford Accommodation
Fairford History
Fairford Attractions
Fairford Air Show
Fairford Photographs
Business and Services
Links

Email the Fairford web site
Email us

Find us on the
Cotswolds web site

 

Fairford Information and History

In recent times Fairford is associated with Concord (it made it's maiden flight at the military in Fairford) and the American air base, but there is more to Fairford than this.

One of the medievel stained glass windows to be found in the Church of St Mary, Fairford
A medieval stained glass window at St Mary's Church in Fairford
 

The medievel stained glass in the magnificant Church of St Mary is the only complete set of medievel stained glass in the country. They are thought to be the work of Barnard Flower, whom Henry VIII employed to glaze the windows of King's College Chapel in Cambridge and the Lady Chapel in Westminster Abbey.

St Mary's Church Fairford was largely rebuilt in 1497 by wealthy wool merchant John Tame and his son Edmund. Sir Edmund Tame was also responsible for St Peter's at Remcombe. It is also thought that he may have been responsible for the church tower at Barnsley, a few miles from Cirencester

Next to the church you will find the old school of 1738. Many of the houses that line the street by the church date back to the 17th and 18th century.

The 19th century church reformer John Keble was born at Keble House in Fairford